Saturday, 10 September 2011

Paris


I completely played out the tourist while I was in Paris, and went to sightseeing to all the major attractions.  The above tower needs no introduction.  And finally, after 17 years since my first visit to Paris, I have finally gone up the Eiffel Tower.

I also visited the Notre-Dame, and saw the 750 year old rose window, still magnificent after so many years.  We went on a river cruise on the Seine too.  We went to the Arc de Triomphe (stair master) at night, and saw the Champs-Élysées from above.


The most memorable experience in Paris was visiting the Sacre-Coeur, at first light.  I wanted to get sunrise on top of the hill.  The sun didn't emerge from behind the clouds, but I was there, with only one other tourist.  I saw the beautiful dome interior, decorated with a huge painting and ornate pillars.  A quiet service was held in the back of the church, and I hear a single voice singing out the service.  The voice carried throughout the whole church.  It was magic.  And I took my favourite photo of a sleepy Paris.


I saw this panorama too (click to view a larger version).  Bonjour, Paris.


I'm currently somewhere in the Loire valley :)

3 comments:

  1. Your photos are breathtaking Pauline! I'm glad your having such a lovely time in Paris (not jealous at all) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pauline they are stunning photos, and it looks like you made the most of your time in Paris! Can hardly wait for your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patty: Thanks! Pack your bags and come :)

    Marian: It was really packed -- the second day I was up at 6:30, and didn't get back to bed till about 11. So many things to see, so little time!

    ReplyDelete