Saturday, 14 January 2012

I've missed my kitchen


This is from a recipe from the book recently purchased Bourke Street Bakery, after a quick visit to the bakery on my way through Sydney.  I couldn't resist it: new book and new mixer.  I had to.  Meringues are also very photogenic, so even if they are not edible, they still look very, very pretty. 


I may have overdone the chocolate a little and could have sprinkled a little more cinnamon on top.  They still need a bit more work, but are by far the best meringue to come out from my little oven.

This is my last weekend of my holiday and I'm not so secretly looking forward to work.  I'm so glad to have travelled and have seen some pretty spectacular places.  Despite, or perhaps because of, all the places I've been to, I still love Tasmania, more so than ever.  

I had a few expectations before I went on the break.  I thought if I travelled the world, then I would find clarity and peace.  

But it hadn't.  

Some things will be with you no matter where you are, although travel does offers a welcomed relieve.  Even though I still don't know how to solves these problems, one thing I am sure.  As long as I am in a kitchen (anywhere it seems), and as long as I can always have my camera at the ready, everything is going to be alright.

2 comments:

  1. Oh now they look good- I've just got a chocolate pavlova in the oven as I type! Great minds hey!
    I treat cooking as an escape too, work is 9-5, but food and cooking is in the back of my mind all day!
    See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home and back to Tassie! Travel is wonderful but it's great to come back (that way we get the best of both worlds really). I love the Bourke Street Bakery cookbook, it's really inspiring. If you enjoyed this recipe, there are some great meringue recipes in the Ottolenghi cookbook that I highly recommend. Looking forward to hearing about what's next for you.

    ReplyDelete