Friday, 9 November 2012

Sping garden


For the past few years, I've been putting in buying up seed bundles at the Source Winterfeast, which means I have a little case of seeds that I am yet to make good use of.  It's full of surprises and full of things I wouldn't normally choose.  One of those is the humble radish.  I picked radishes for its short growing period, and relatively low maintenance.  I don't think I have the greenest thumb, so something easy and indestructible (says the person who has a less than healthy looking mint) would give me a quick boost of confidence.  I had two types: Easter Eggs and Champions.

I've completely fallen in love with radishes for their fresh pepperiness.  The Easter Eggs turn out to have a elongated root, and comes a variety of colours: white, yellow, pink, while the Champions are round and red.  They are especially good when picked young and eat them as they are.  I do think they are the best radishes I've ever eaten (what do you mean I'm biased?)

These ones pictured here are the last of them.  I've had some pickled radishes recently that were pale pink and wanted to see if I could also make them myself.  After spending a night in the fridge, they did turn pink!  They will be featured in sandwiches over the next week or two, if I don't snack on them beforehand.

The green tops are completely edible too.  Freshly picked leaves are so very prickly, although I would happily eat them raw.  A few went into a pasta dish, and the remainder will go into an experimental pesto.

I have so many things planned for the garden, and I'm running out of room!  Time to get digging and make a few more veggie patches (and should really deal with the Weed Mountain).  There's zucchinis, squashes, tomatoes, peas, beans, potatoes, carrots, parsnips and a whole heap of herbs, basil, thyme, hyssop, parsley and lovage.   I'm trying to grow some cornflowers and borage too, but somewhat unsuccessfully.  I am impatiently waiting for summer tomatoes.  There's pink cherries, yellow beefsteaks, red ones of course, and some green ones too.  It will be a rainbow of tomatoes and there will be a bottling day!  I have some new strawberries out the front with what looks like this year's entire crop of ONE strawberry.  Talk about anticipation.


Do you have a garden?  What are you planting in them? 

5 comments:

  1. We gained a large garden when we bought our house late last year. We haven't planted much yet as there is so much already here and time is a bit short at the moment. We are just completing our first year here so are still getting a few surprises.

    There is a lot of borage here, so if yours doesn't come good you would be welcome to some of ours :)

    http://sofiasplayground.blogspot.com.au/search/label/garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may take up your offer of borages ;) I still have a few tomato seedlings coming up if you're keen for a swap? Or some sunflower seedlings? How exciting though, your fruit trees looks beautiful. I used to have an apricot tree before it withered away... But I loved picking the fruit off it, if the birds hadn't gotten to them first. Love your blog! And congratulations on the new arrival :)

      Delete
    2. I had a quick look yesterday and the borage is quite mature (that is prickly!), but I will have a better look when I get a chance to see if there are some smaller plants that might transplant. Otherwise there are a lot of flowers and I can save you some seeds too.

      Delete
  2. Lovely photo of your radishes. Ours have just come online too, they look like tiny fishing floats (they're red and white).
    On the list to go in the garden still: beans, lebanese cucumbers and more carrots.
    Do you know the variety of carrot they use at Garagiste? We weren't totally convinced by the varieties we planted over winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red and white! How cute :) Are they like the French Breakfast radishes? (It's the only multi-toned radishes I know).

      I'm not sure which varieties they were. These were grown by Richard Weston (http://www.westonfarm.com.au/), and they were especially sweet because they were grown over winter, and tasted like cardamom. Perhaps Paulette knows?

      Oh cucumbers, are you growing them in a greenhouse/polytunnel? I'm keen to try but the garden is completely full now. Will need to make a few more garden beds for next year.

      Delete