Thursday, 31 January 2013

Tomatoes


It's been a while, again... 

I'm continuing my series of taking photos in not quite enough light while standing on my kitchen sink.  The light is getting away now.  It's getting completely dark by 9.  This summer has been kind of crazy.  It got dry all of a sudden, followed by a terrible heatwave that fuelled devastating bushfires.  And now?  It's raining like we're in the middle of winter.  The weather can be so cruel sometimes...

I haven't had much success with tomatoes this year.  There's furry bits on them, and I'm afraid my favourite variety has to be pulled out in the next day or so :(  The fruit are oddly shaped and have blemishes on them.  Despite their looks though, they still taste like sunshine.  I especially love the fleshy varieties; their texture is closer to an apricot than a store bought tomatoes.  And their flavour?  Each one is so different, and all too hard to describe.  It's tomatoes dial up to 11.  You'll just have to grow some and see :)

I hope your garden is doing better than mine!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Pauline
    This weather is something else
    We haven't had many tomatoes at all yet...but I'm still hopeful. The taste of home grown tomatoes is the best.
    The rest of the garden is struggling..a lot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been rather unusual, although, I wonder if this is something we should get used to. "More extreme extremes" as scientists say.

      Delete
  2. I haven't had much luck either, with anything in my vegie patch for that matter. My tomatoes are looking ok but the plants look awful. One of the plants has fruit with dodgy bottoms - I have no idea why as I have watered them all the same. But yes, there is nothing like a fresh homegrown tomato. That smell too, just like summer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just had lunch with a few tommies :) It's sooooo very good. Mine had lots of dodgy bottoms too! Lots of flowers are dropping off too :/ I should be banned from torturing them... Hoping the rain will help them a little.

      Delete
  3. I've given up trying to grow tomatoes. My mom does a great job growing them so I get the fruit off her instead. Yours look amazing though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, mums are great gardners!! I keep getting gai larn and bok choi from mum :)

      Delete