Saturday, 9 March 2013

Autumn


What happened to this year?  It's March already and I'm pulling carrots and onions from the ground, to make room for autumn plants.  Excitingly, I have a few plants of shungiku from Provenance Growers.  It's one of my favourite veg.  It has a pretty strong bitter flavour that's great in soups and stock. 

Predictably, I have planted kale to ensure a steady background crop because they are prolific and are pretty indestructable.  I've gotten a few sprouting purple broccoli seedlings too.  There's also good old broccolis too, but who knows, I've never had one that forms a proper head.  I suspect, I am planting them too late.  We'll find out soon enough!


Are you ready for autumn?  It's my favourite time of the year. 

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Pauline! It doesn't feel like Autumn here yet, but I've seen apples and persimmons in the shops so it certainly looks a little bit like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. It's still pretty warm, but it's rainy and muggy today. Such strange weather... Yes, the apricot season's over and apples are everywhere now. Quinces are just around the corner.

      Delete
  2. I *still* haven't planted my autumn seeds. Tomorrow will have to be the day.

    I did dig out the potatoes yesterday - another 2 kg - so I'll at least have a spare bed to plant in. Oh, and I have put down seed for tatsoi and coriander, at least, and the broccoli are already well-established so I'm hoping for a bumper harvest. There'll be oca too!

    So, seeds in tomorrow, and then hope that the garden survives a month without me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, your potatoes are fantastic! If this week's weather is anything to go by, your garden with thrive :)

      Delete
  3. Oh I love your photos of food & I love that you are the food fairy. I just read your about and adored your pictures of your glorious cat. I read that you are also a soul who loves to code. Can us mere mortals employ you to clean up/make fabulous our own blog? curious indeed. let me know.

    will be grinning all day with thoughts of a food fairy! (and code fairy?)
    happy autumn (though it is spring here!)
    xo

    ReplyDelete