Sunday, 2 June 2013

Parsnips!


Just a really quick post today! I've harvested these forgotten parsnips from the garden. I love the smell of freshly dug vegetable. It's heady, and addictive. I dug these up with my hands, delving deep into the black stuff, pulling them up gently and firmly.

It always makes me sad that so many people are frightened by dirt. A friend who once said they hated cleaning potatoes and would only buy bags of cleaned potatoes. There is really nothing to be frightened of. Once cleaned up in the sink (or in the garden), they are better than anything store bought. I've come to love soil, on my hands, under my nails and in my kitchen sink. It's a life affirming experience and makes you look at humble vegetables in a new light.

So get out there, and get your hands dirty. It's not frightening. it's exciting and rewarding.

Now, what delicious things should I cook with them?

4 comments:

  1. Well done! Try Rohan's roast parsnip spread - it looks delicious.

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/australia-food-blog/2013/may/31/june-eat-season

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's my first crop of parsnip and I'm amazed at how easy it was to grow, even though it took a while. Carrots didn't do so well though. My cats dug half of my garden up :/ I love Ro! He's one my food heros :)

      Delete
  2. Mmmm. I like parsnips but we only have them once in a blue moon. perhaps they are something to add to my gardening list as well. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you should! It's so tasty, good for both sweet and savory dishes. I need to grow more next year.

      Delete