Monday, 17 June 2013

Wontons


I love wontons, a lot. This is the stuff of my childhood. If bread is the benchmark for living cost, then wonton is the equivalent for me. My favourite variation is made with bok choi; a Shanghainese take on these bundles. I've been growing bok choi this year. All but a few have bolted during the dry spell last week, rendering the leaves tough and old. This is a great way to eat them.


I always make them with twice as much greens as you think you'll need, and just a small handful of pork mince.  Boil them for a few minutes and eat with a dash of soy and sesame oil. They'll go well in a good stock too, but depressingly, I used them all up last week.


There's nothing fancy about these wontons, but it's light and quick to make. The nostalgic factor is unbeatable.

What do you cook from your childhood? I think I'll be exploring more of this.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Pauline,

    I guess I cook desserts from my childhood, I used to cook a steamed apricot pudding when I was little and every now and then the urge takes over!

    thank you for sharing, Tammy

    ReplyDelete